School is in full swing and the holidays are looming – which means you will undoubtedly be asked to contribute to bake sales or class parties. And if your kids are like most, you won’t find out about it until the night before. You don’t want to run out to the grocery store and stay up until 1:00 in the morning baking, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune at the local bakery.
Here are 2 simple baked goods you can make in a hurry and chances are, the ingredients are already in your refrigerator or pantry.
This 2 ingredient Nutella cake recipe comes by way of kirbiecravings.com.
Flourless Nutella Cake
- 4 large or extra large eggs
- 8 1/2 ounces Nutella (weigh this out on a scale)
- Grease a 6 or 7 inch round springform pan. Then line with parchment paper on sides and on bottom.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs on highest speed with stand mixer until about triple in volume, about 6 minutes.
- Measure out Nutella into a glass bowl. Microwave Nutella for about 20 seconds to make it softer. Add in 1/3 of the egg mixture. Gently stir with a spatula in the same clockwise direction until all of the egg is mixed in and no streaks remain.
- Then add another 1/3 of egg mixture and fold again until no egg streaks remain.
- Pour in remaining third and make sure to scrape the foam that sticks to the mixing bowl into the batter and stir until no streaks remain.
- Pour batter into springfoam pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before removing from pan and cutting and serving. This will allow the chocolate flavor to fully develop, otherwise when it is still hot it tastes slightly eggier.
Tips given were to make sure you beat the eggs into a merengue consistency, then slowly fold in the Nutella in batches (to not lose too much of the air that was whipped into the eggs). Be sure to follow measurements and directions directly or the cake may taste too much like eggs. If you skip the parchment paper, chances are good that the cake is going to stick.
Peanut Butter Cookies
As I was going through all my old recipes, I also found this easy to make peanut butter cookie recipe. My mom used to make these all the time and all it requires is three ingredients.
- 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or line with parchment paper a baking sheet.
- Mix together the peanut butter, egg and sugar until smooth.
- Using a tablespoon as measurement, roll dough into round balls. You can then roll them into sugar if you want. Place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten and form the cross pattern.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are just slightly brown on the bottom. Do not overbake.
- Remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Two simple recipes that you can make up quickly when your child tells you he/she needs 2 dozen cookies by the morning! Then sit back and enjoy the rest of your evening.