Banana cake is something I had never tried to bake until now. I’ve found lots of uses for those brown bananas that I forget to eat – like banana bread or banana cream pie – but this is definitely a recipe I wish I would’ve started making a long time ago. This cake is so moist and delicious and of course to make it even better I have topped it with a cream cheese frosting. My kids never even guessed they were eating dessert infused with a healthy fruit!
Banana Cake Ingredients
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- In small bowl, mix mashed bananas and lemon juice, set aside.
- In medium bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
- Add in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture, blend well.
- Pour into greased 9×13 or two 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups powered sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add butter, and mix until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Continue mixing for several minutes until frosting becomes light and smooth.
- Spread over cake.