For a lot of people, there is nothing better on a hot summer day than their favorite flavor of ice cream in a cone or a dish. Slice a banana and strawberries and add freshly whipped cream for a treat nearly anyone would enjoy.
But, what do you do when you can’t have ice cream?
Some people find that, for whatever reason, they cannot eat ice cream. For some, it’s a dairy intolerance. For others, it’s the sugar content or a food allergy. Either way, you don’t need to be too upset since there are some delicious alternatives to ice cream that you can enjoy instead.
- Frozen Yogurt – While frozen yogurt is still a dairy product, it often has a lower fat content than traditional ice cream. If you choose a variety that is low in sugar, this can be a great alternative for those trying to watch their calories.
- Popsicles – I’m the first one to admit that when the temperatures start to rise, I pick popsicles over ice cream. Choose a variety made with real fruit and not with added food coloring or artificial flavors and colors.
- Sorbet or Sherbet – Depending on who makes it, sorbet and sherbet are often quite similar. They are a puree of frozen juice or fruit that is slightly sweetened and generally has the addition of dairy or eggs to make it creamy. Not all include dairy or eggs so read the ingredients carefully.
- Italian Ice – Italian ice is a frozen, sweetened dessert that’s made with fruit juice. It is similar to sorbet except there are no dairy or eggs in Italian ice which makes it a great choice for those with food allergies. It’s less creamy than sorbet or sherbet.
- Dairy Free Ice Cream – There are a number of delicious dairy free ice creams available on the market. Many of them are made with soy milk but I have seen a few that are made with coconut milk. Read the ingredients carefully if you have food allergies.
Of course, you can always create your own dairy-free ice cream at home. I have seen several recipes on Pinterest that use avocado or mashed banana as the base for the ice cream. Then you can just add in whatever types of additions you enjoy: nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, flaked coconut or pumpkin seeds. Make it a unique combination that most appeals to your tastes.
Are there any other delicious alternatives to ice cream that you enjoy.