So many people are going dairy free, perhaps from allergy or a desire to be vegan. Since they can’t have the cream cheese, many of them have given up on a carrot cake. But with this cinnamon glazed carrot cake recipe, they will forget that a cream cheese is a must for the frosting.
This cake can be baked in a bundt pan, a loaf pan or a round cake pan. Baking times will be different, suggested closer to 50 minutes for the loaf pan and 30 minutes for the round cake. For a more coconut flavor, try using coconut sugar in place of cane sugar.
Coconut-Pecan Carrot Cake With Cinnamon Glaze
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (this is a popular whole grain, non-wheat flour that can be found in almost any grocery store)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 6-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Create a well in the center of the wet ingredients and pour in the oil, coconut milk, applesauce and vanilla extract. Whisk just until combined. Add the carrots, shredded coconut and pecans, folding them in with a spatula until evenly distributed (do not over-mix, or your cake will be extremely dense).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 38 to 42 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. When finished baking, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Then invert onto a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Mix in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I used just over 2 tablespoons.
- Pour glaze over the cooled cake, and sprinkle with flaked coconut (or pecans), if desired. Iced cake is best eaten the day of but will keep for up to two days loosely covered with plastic at room temperature.
For instructions with pictures, check it out here.