After an early morning of excited children opening their presents, what’s better than a warm gooey pecan sticky roll to indulge in? Prepare these the day before, so all you have to do is rise and bake in the morning!
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Blend for 30 seconds with mixer on low speed, scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups of flour (dough should remain soft and slightly sticky).
- Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured board.
- Cover dough and allow to rest for half an hour.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12×7 inch rectangle.
- Spread each half with 1 tablespoon soft butter and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Roll the halves, beginning at the wide side.
- Seal well by pinching the seams.
- Cut each roll into 12 slices.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Coat two 9 inch round pans with 1/4 cup of melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans in each pan.
- Place 12 dough slices in each pan, leaving a small space between slices.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Invert pans onto serving plates immediately.