On the first Saturday of May, the “most exciting two minutes in sports”
The winning horse must also win the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes to win the coveted Triple Crown.
Celebrate this year’s derby, which takes place on Saturday, May 4, 2019, with a classic American dessert mixed with a
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Mint Pastry Filling
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 medium-sized eggs)
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla with an electric mixer for about three minutes.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture and the milk until well blended.
- Drop the dough onto a parchment paper lined
bakingsheet, creating about three-inch circles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until slightly puffed. Transfer cookies to a cookie rack and allow to cool.
- For the pastry filling, beat butter, mint extract, and vanilla in
largemetal bowl with an electric mixer until blended. Add powdered sugar and egg whites and beat until smooth, light and fluffy. Add food coloring drop by drop for your desired shade of mint green.
- Spoon the pastry filling into a plastic bag. Cut off 1/4 inch of plastic bag corner to allow for piping. Pipe mint filling in
spiralonto bottom cookie layer. Place top cookie layer gently on top. Repeat.
Tip: These cookies can be made one day ahead of time, so you can enjoy your derby festivities. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature.