Strawberries and chocolate. What a perfect combination for Valentine’s Day! This Strawberry Pie in a Chocolate Crust is sure to impress everyone (including your sweetheart) this February.
I first had a variation of this delicious dessert several years ago at a girlfriend’s house. She served the pie in a baked pie crust and used fresh strawberries from her garden. When I saw the way the sliced strawberries resembled hearts in the pie plate, I immediately thought the recipe would make a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day. Of course, in the spirit of the holiday, I decided to replace the standard crust with a yummy Oreo chocolate crumb one. And this recipe was born:
- Oreo chocolate crumb crust
- One pound of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise to resemble hearts
- One container of whipped topping
- One package of strawberry gelatin, regular or sugar-free
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- Hull and slice the strawberries lengthwise so that each slice resembles a heart.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries in a decorative pattern in the bottom of the pie crust or just place them neatly within.
- In a small sauce pan, mix the sugar, the water, and the corn starch.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir constantly over medium heat for two minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the package of strawberry gelatin.
- Continue stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Use a whisk to remove any lumps if necessary.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until the gelatin mixture is cooled.
- Carefully pour the gelatin mixture of the strawberries in the pie plate.
- Return to the refrigerator for two hours until completely chilled and set.
- Remove the Strawberry Pie from the refrigerator and carefully spread the whipped topping over the top, covering the pie completely. Or, if you prefer, you can slice the pie immediately and allow your guests to put on their own whipped topping.