The holidays are over. The Super Bowl parties have come and gone. You might still be working to keep on track of those healthy New Year’s resolutions. What better way than with a salad for dinner?
Recently, I ran across various glaze recipes for chicken, beef, and seafood. One night, in the mood for a light meal, I decided to put together a grilled chicken salad for dinner. This recipe from fit the type of meal I wanted. It was delicious!
Spicy Honey Chicken Salad
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2 pounds (I used 2 boneless skinless breasts instead)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Combine the rub spices in bowl and mix well.
- Use kitchen shears (or a pair of clean scissors) to trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry.
- Drizzle oil over chicken and rub in with your hands to lightly coat all the pieces. Then toss chicken with the spice rub to coat all sides well. Use your hands and get in there!
- Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave so it’s not so thick. Add the vinegar and combine well. Reserve 2 tablespoons honey glaze for later. Take the rest and brush on chicken (both sides) in the final moments of grilling.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the chicken into 1 inch strips.
- Remember how I had you reserve that extra couple tablespoons of glaze? Drizzle that on top now.
I’m going to warn you that this can make a hot mess, literally. It’s sugar, and it’s going to drip. But the smelly smoke is worth it for a minute or two. Just leave your grill on for a few minutes after the chicken is done to burn off any excess glaze. It’s totally worth it once you taste this stuff.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, try it on an indoor grill pan or use your broiler. Just be sure to open a window in case you burn your glaze!
While the chicken is cooking, make your salad.
- Romaine or red-leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, cut into bite size cubes
- Distribute ingredients evenly over plates.
- Place slices of chicken on top.
- Drizzle or drench honey-citrus vinaigrette on top.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Place all ingredients in a tightly sealed jar and shake vigorously.
- Store in the fridge, and shake again before using.
The sweet glaze on the chicken coats your tongue to help cut down on the chipotle chili powder rub. Throw in some acid with the orange juice and lime juice in the dressing and your mouth will be singing with flavors.