Busy moms need simple meals the whole family will enjoy – and ones that are easy to make ahead of time. I know the last thing I feel like doing on after a busy afternoon of homework and extracurricular activities is cooking, so it’s nice to have some cold salads prepared ahead of time.
I’ve found that making a few pasta salads at once can last us quite a few days, either as vegetarian lunches or as a side dish for dinner with a meat like grilled chicken (which can also be prepared ahead of time and lasts a few days in the refrigerator).
Orzo salad is an easy one to make and has become a favorite in this family . It’s also a fantastic dish to have on hand for drop in guests or to bring to a party. Six simple ingredients and you are good to go (double the recipe to have more on hand for larger groups).
6 Ingredient Simple Greek Orzo Salad
- 1/2 pound uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cook orzo according to package directions
- Mix olive oil and red wine vinegar in large bowl
- While orzo is cooking, add chopped peppers and cranberries to oil mixture and mix
- After orzo is cooked, drain and rinse with cold water until cooled
- Mix into oil mixture
- Top with feta cheese and stir gently
- Chill before serving
Want to add variety to the basic dish each time you make it? Try mixing in one of these:
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncinis
Have you tried orzo salad?