Finding low sodium snacks that really taste good can be a challenge. My mother was put on a reduced-sodium diet after heart failure. She’s finding the low sodium diet to be far less enjoyable than the Standard American Diet she was used to eating. Here are a few tips that I shared with her that I hope you’ll find helpful.
Many of the low sodium snacks are just that—regular snacks with the salt removed. If you’re used to eating foods that have salt added, these new snacks probably won’t be all that satisfying. So, what’s the solution to finding low sodium snacks that are really enjoyable? Find foods that naturally do not contain salt and enjoy them!
- Make homemade French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries. Make sure that you slice them thick like steak fries and drizzle them with olive oil. You won’t even notice that they don’t have added salt. If you want to, you can dip them in a low sodium tomato ketchup or ranch dressing.
- Try a delicious homemade smoothie. While milk does have some sodium, it’s not a large amount. You can add a frozen banana, a handful of fresh strawberries, and some ice. Then, just mix it all in the blender and enjoy. This is one of my favorite healthy summer snacks.
- Olive oil popcorn is a delicious low sodium snack. Instead of adding salt to your bowl of popcorn, try adding cinnamon, Italian seasoning, or even black pepper. You won’t believe how good it is until you try it.
- Fruit salad is a wonderful treat that is naturally low sodium. Be sure that there is no added syrup if you purchase it pre-made. Just slice some fruit and enjoy! You can add a tablespoon of vanilla Greek yogurt to the top if you like. Yogurt is very low in sodium but it does often have added sugar. Be sure that you read the label and avoid buying the type that has added candy, cookie crumbles, or nuts. Those will not be low sodium.
- If you want a snack that you can make at home, try these Blueberry Coconut Energy Bites. You won’t believe how easy they are to make and they have no added salt at all. Get the recipe here.
So, the next time you’re searching for a low sodium snack, think back to what you enjoyed eating that is naturally salt-free. Why not try brushing unsalted nuts with olive oil at 350F until they’re crispy. You won’t believe how good they are!