January 31, 2013
A new year brings a new opportunity to change up your look – no matter what your age. Check out the new trends for 2013 and create a new, refreshed you in no time.
Effortless Eyes to Neutral Nails
1. Eyeliner is in full effect right now. The cat-eye is still trendy, but the look is a little more streamlined. Use black eyeliner played tight to the tops and bottoms of the lids and then delicately smudge it out. The runways were dominated by this look. Chanel took it from day to night by adding a sweep of metallic shadow. Great buys in liner include Chanel’s Precision liner which offers a light smudge and L’Oreal’s Double Extend Eye Illuminator with its two liner stick and deep color.
2. Neutral nails are easy to maintain and look good with everything. For winter look to shades in pale pinks and greys to stay current. Essie’s pale pink ‘Ballet Slippers’ is a tried and true classic. Forever 21 ‘Pale Grey’ is affordable and a beautiful soft grey that offers up a new way to decorate your tips. Get bold with Pantone’s color of the year Emerald green. Sephora teamed up with OPI for a muted take on this trend.
3. Don’t bother pinning down a lip look for this season. 2013 lips are all about what works for you and your outfit on any given day. Need a boost? Get a bold, matte lip in orange or bright pink (think Dior’s ‘Diva’ for pink) for a pop of color that adds energy to your day. Want to go more tame? Opt for nude lips, like Revlon’s Colorburst in Crème Brulee.
Statements in Hair
1. Running late? Hair still damp? Low ponytails are one of the best ways to look chic fast. Seen all over the spring runways, including Alexander Wang, you just gather your hair at the base of your neck and secure it with a ponytail holder. Adding a ribbon or jeweled clip makes it extra chic.
2. Make a statement with hair accessories this winter and spring. There is no need to worry that the beaded headband you got for the holidays will have to stay stashed in a drawer. Headbands, bows, barrettes and more are here to stay. Pearl adorned ties and bands were on the seen at Chanel for spring. The beaded baubles, ribbons and honeycomb hair pieces are both elegant and put together when paired with low-slung or side-parted knots and ponytails.
When it comes to hair and make-up in 2013 the approach is more minimalist. Pick a hair style, lip or eye look and play that one area up and tone down the rest. Less is truly more right now.