Easy Sausage Gravy Recipe for Biscuits
August 28, 2018
You are going to love this easy sausage gravy recipe for biscuits! My husband is from Texas and there are a few regional recipes that I had to learn how to cook when we got married. Since I’m a New England girl, sausage gravy isn’t something that I had ever dined on, much less cooked, before.
Biscuits and gravy—or biscuits and sausage gravy—is a meal that is made from soft dough biscuits (we use buttermilk biscuits) and a sawmill or sausage gravy.
The gravy is made by mixing all purpose flour with the bacon or sausage pan drippings and adding in milk or buttermilk. It also has pieces of sausage or other types of meat mixed in as well. If you prefer, you can serve the sausage on the side like and then pour the gravy over the biscuits and cooked sausage.
Sausage gravy and biscuits is a traditional southern breakfast recipe but my husband and I generally have it for dinner with fresh veggies or a salad. You can certainly do it for breakfast along with eggs or a fruit cup.
Sausage Gravy Recipe for Biscuits
You can use your favorite buttermilk or soft biscuit recipe for this dish. While we generally use rolled biscuits, so they have a uniform size, it will taste just as delicious with a drop biscuit.
Adjust the amount of gravy, biscuits, and sausage you make depending on how many people you are cooking for.
- Bulk seasoned breakfast sausage, links or patties
- Butter (NOT margarine)
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Cook sausage in the melted butter until cooked through.
- If you are using links or patties, remove them and set aside.
- If you are using bulk sausage, leave it in the pan.
- Add enough flour to make a very thin paste (roux).
- Add enough whole milk to make a thick liquid (bechamel sauce) adding more until it is creamy like gravy. Do not add too much or it will turn thin and runny.
- If it is too thick, add more milk.
- Season with black pepper.
- Serve over biscuits with sausage.
Have you ever tried sausage gravy over biscuits before? Do you make it from scratch?