June 14, 2021
It’s summer, and what better way to cool off than with a frozen treat? You don’t need to buy an ice cream machine or expensive store-bought ice cream with unwanted additives and preservatives. All you need is a food processor and just a few fresh ingredients to make these super simple ice cream recipes. Transform three summer fruits – bananas, blueberries, and watermelon – into three cool, sweet treats, perfect for a hot summer day.
Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
Blueberries are brimming with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. At just 80 calories per cup, they make an ideal light, summer treat. Combine them with yogurt and you’ve got a satisfying protein and vitamin-rich homemade frozen dessert!
- 3 cups of blueberries, frozen solid
- 1/2 cup sugar (or honey)
- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt, chilled (Greek-style yogurt works well for this recipe)
- Place all of the ingredients into your food processer, and blend until they reach a soft-serve ice cream-like consistency. Serve immediately.
Watermelon is a wonderful source of Vitamin C and lycopene, both important nutrients that will help repair damage wrought by the summer sun. Serve this refreshing sorbet in a martini glass and a wedge of lime and spike it with a half cup of chilled vodka before processing for an extra summer kick.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 8 cups seedless watermelon chunks
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar, water and lime juice in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Chill.
- In your food processor, combine the watermelon and the chilled simple syrup, and blend until watermelon is pureed. Pour the mixture into a plastic container, cover, and place in the freezer.
- When the mixture is frozen solid (about three hours), place in a food processor and process until smooth. Serve immediately.
Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Did you know you can make a delicious, creamy soft-serve ice cream with one simple ingredient? Bananas!
Simply peel, slice into one-inch thick rounds, and freeze (for about three hours) a few bananas. When they are frozen solid, blend in your food processer until they are the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You’ll be amazed!
Add about a half cup of chocolate chips for every three bananas for Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Other good mix-ins are honey (about 1 TBS), peanut butter (about a half a cup), and/or flaked coconut (about 3 tbsp). Be creative! This ice cream is perfect for serving when you have guests that are vegan or on gluten-free diets and is a great way to make good use of bananas about to reach their overripe date. Your children won’t even notice that they’re eating a full serving of fruit with zero added sugar.