July 4, 2013
The maxi dress is nothing new. It has been around for a few seasons, but now people are getting creative and using the dress in a multitude of styles. Here are some simple tips for getting the most wear out of the maxi dress already in your closet, or the new one you are dying to purchase.
Casual-but-chic is the name of the game for summer and a maxi dress can certainly add a dose of cool, easy style to your day. There is an almost endless array of possibilities when it comes to wearing a maxi dress for daytime. Here’s a quick rundown.
- Pair a jean jacket with a skinny belt over the maxi dress. Add a pair of colorful Ked-like sneakers and you are ready for a picnic in the park, running errands while looking cute or even the start of vacation.
- Use a solid t-shirt layered over the dress so the bottom half acts as a skirt. You can wear a pair of ballet flats or flat sandals to dress up the look. A pendant or set of cuff bracelets adds a bit of panache.
- Tie up a corner of the maxi dress bottom in a tight little knot. The length is still there but it lightens up the look. Wear your favorite pair of wedge heels. A light cardigan adds a bit of warmth but also changes up the look.
Go beyond the casual maxi dress and find one in a fabric like chiffon or rayon for a soft, elegant look that looks great with a pair of strappy heels. You can dress up any maxi dress by adding a few pieces to it too. It is important to find a dress that has some shape to it. A fitted one, especially up top, is your best bet for creating an outfit with style and appeal.
- A big and bold statement necklace will create a look that is perfect for date night. Match it with an oversized clutch bag.
- Use a wide, jeweled belt or one with lots of hardware gleaming on the front to cinch up the waist and add some glamour. Pair the dress with heels, bangle bracelets and even a set of long drop earrings for a bold look that has you ready for a night out.
The best thing about a maxi dress, especially one in a solid color, is that just one can be used for an endless set of outfits for different occasions. It is all in how you style it.