Last Minute Gift Recycling Old Holiday Cards
December 21, 2011
Need a quick last minute holiday gift for someone your list? We’ve got the perfect craft – just grab your kids and some of your old holiday cards.
People spend so much time, effort, and sometimes money to pick out or make their holiday cards, only to have them packed in boxes or tossed in the trash once the New Year hits. If you are like me, you have fabulous, gorgeous holiday cards doing absolutely nothing, other than taking up space. Get them out and let them be seen, or at least re-purposed into bookmarks.
- Old Christmas cards
- Cute ribbon or yarn
- Laminate paper; the self-stick kind, (clear cabinet paper liner would work, as well)
- Hole punch
- Glitter and sparkly pens
- Cut out the part of the card that interests you. You can use the card by itself if it is thick enough, or glue it onto card stock with a slight border.
- When the glue dries, use a glitter pen to add wording, names or designs. You can also add stickers and stamps if desired.
- Put between the laminate paper, peel and stick.
- Cut out desired shape, being careful to not cut too close to the picture as the laminate could peel off.
- Press out any bubbles of air you see (it may be easiest to use a straight ruler).
- Use a hole punch where you want the ribbon, careful not to get too close to the edge.
- String ribbon or yarn through the hole. Decide the length and then trim with scissors and you are done.
Add a your new bookmark to a favourite book and you have a perfect gift, for mom, dad, kids, cousins and friends. Making bookmarks really is so easy and makes for a fun and creative way for you and your kids or your kids and their friends to spend the afternoon during your child’s holiday break.