Celebrate the Holidays All Year ‘Round With a DIY Wreath
March 3, 2017
I am one of those people who loves at least a little bit of holiday decor displayed at my house all year ’round. We are the crazy neighbors who have thousands of Christmas lights flashing to blasting music. Of course, it gets expensive to buy inflatable decorations and outdoor bulbs for each and every holiday, but I like to hang a wreath on my front door — no matter what the season.
If hanging a wreath outside isn’t your thing, you can one (or many) indoors instead. Hang your wreath on the inside of your front door, above a fireplace, or propped up on a bookshelf. Or hang a wreath in the guest bathroom for a festive touch. I have a friend who hangs her wreath on the kitchen pantry door because she spends a lot of time in the kitchen.
Here’s how to make your own holiday wreath:
- 14 inch foam ring
- 2 ½ yards of a heavy (to last longer) material
- Ribbon for hanging
- Cut your material into 2-inch by 22-inch strips. You will need about 40 strips, more if using a larger foam ring.
- Tie the strips around the wreath and double knot. Make sure to overlap the strips.
- Cut the ends of the strip at an angle.
- Tie a ribbon around the top of the wreath for hanging (you can change it for every holiday).
- Add an embellishments: a shamrock for St. Patrick’s day, a small flag for the Fourth of July, or cutouts of ghosts or pumpkins for Halloween.
Go to HGTV to see pictures for a great St. Patrick’s Day wreath made with burlap and embellishments. By making the wreath a neutral color, it’s easy to change out the ribbon and embellishment for the next holiday.
If you only want a wreath for one or two holidays, use a more colorful or holiday-appropriate material. If you plan to hang your wreath outside, use heavier material that will withstand the weather.
The best part of reusing the wreath is that you won’t have to find a place to store it. Just update the wreath with the ribbon and adornments. You can store a years worth of ribbon and adornments in a shoebox in your closet!