How to Make an Antioxodant Boosting Berry Smoothie
January 17, 2016
This Antioxidant Boosting Berry Smoothie is one of the ways that I’m trying to make healthier food choices this year. I’m normally quite happy with six cups of coffee for breakfast. I don’t start to think of food until I’ve been awake for at least two or three hours, but I know that breakfast is an important start to any day.
How to Make an Antioxidant Boosting Berry Smoothie
To put it simply, antioxidants are things like Vitamins E and C that help slow damage to your cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals can cause things like heart disease and diabetes so adding in antioxidants is a great way to live a healthier life. A few of the foods that are considered to be high in antioxidants are:
- Red and blue grapes
- Red berries
- Dark green vegetables
- Sweet potatoes and orange vegetables
- Green tea
- Whole grains
Not all of these things would taste good in a smoothie, but it’s entirely possible to load up on antioxidants by including a few. You can play around with the ingredients depending on what you like, but here are a couple of my favorites:
Berry Yogurt Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 cup of organic full-fat yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 cup of frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
Citrus Berry Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup oranges (peeled & de-seeded)
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 medium banana (peeled & sliced)
- 1 cup almond milk
- Place all of the ingredients in a smoothie maker or a blender.
- Pulse or blend until the mixture is smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, you can add more almond milk to make it thinner.
These recipes make one small Antioxidant Boosting Smoothie. You can enjoy this as a healthy breakfast or as a snack on the go. If you want to keep this vegan, choose soy or an almond based yogurt instead of a dairy-based yogurt. If you enjoy greens in your smoothies, you can add a handful of fresh spinach or kale to get an added boost from a dark green vegetable. The kids will love this!