July 1, 2014
Baking soda, otherwise known as sodium bicarbonate, is most commonly used in baking and in homemade cleaning products. Did you know that there are healthy uses for baking soda as well? It’s not just for baking muffins and scouring sinks any longer. You can use baking soda to get great skin, hair and nails and it’s much less expensive than products you’ll buy at the store. It’s also a more natural alternative than many products available today.
6 Healthy Uses for Baking Soda
- Add a about 1/2 cup of baking soda to a lukewarm bath to help relieve sunburn pain. When you get out of the tub, don’t towel dry. Let the your skin air dry so that the baking soda stays on your skin. You can also soak a wash cloth in warm water and baking soda and apply it to the sunburn directly.
- If you’re pestered by insects this summer, make a paste of baking soda and water to apply to bug bites. The baking soda paste will help relieve the itchiness and irritation. This will also help provide relief for rashes and poison ivy.
- Brush and whiten your teeth with a paste of baking soda. If you don’t like the taste, try adding a tiny bit of peppermint essential oil. Rub the mixture on your teeth and gums and rinse off after 15 minutes. You can use a toothbrush or your fingertip.
- To remove shampoo and styling product build up on your hair, simply add a teaspoon of baking soda to your regular shampoo and wash your hair as normal. The baking soda will lift oils and build up away from your hair and your scalp. Be careful using this on color treated hair.
- Whiten your nails with equal parts of apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Rub the mixture on your nails and scrub the tops and bottoms of your nails with a nail brush. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.
- Use a mixture of baking soda and water in place of deodorant. If you have trouble making it stick, you can add a small amount of cornstarch to the mixture as well. Using this natural remedy lets you avoid aluminum and parabens found in many personal care items.
Have you tried any of these healthy uses for baking soda? Are there natural remedies or alternatives uses that you do that I have forgotten?