August 5, 2014
The dog days of summer are officially here but we still have a few more weeks to create some seasonal goodies for ourselves and our loved ones. Popsicles are one of the easiest cold treats to make without having to fuss with rock salt, shaking ice cream makers or cranking out shaved ice. So, let’s beat the last of the summer heat with these healthy Popsicle recipes the whole family will enjoy.
Chocolate Dipped Fruit Pops
Grab some fresh fruit and chocolate to melt for these fast and easy frozen treats.
- 2 tbsp fresh fruit (try kiwi, strawberries, or bananas)
- Coconut oil
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate.
- Slice the fruit and place on the stick. If using kiwi or banana then peel and slice to create a lollipop.
- Place the fruit on a tray lined with wax paper and freeze for four hours.
- Combine coconut oil and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Mix after completely melted.
- Dip frozen fruit into the chocolate mixture and lie on the tray and freeze for one hour.
Totally Fruity Coconut Water Pops
These low-calorie treats are the ultimate in fresh fruit pops. Using a Popsicle mold you can create frozen fruit popsicles with coconut water that hydrate, refresh and are good for everyone.
- Your favorite fruit
- Coconut water
- Wash fruit and cut it to fill inside Popsicle molds.
- Fill molds half-way with fruit and pour coconut water to fill the sections three-quarters of the way full.
- Insert Popsicle mold handles.
- Freeze for four to 48 hours.
Berry Yogurt Pops
Yogurt pops are a great way to get some calcium into your diet. These pops also add a sweet and creamy element to an otherwise standard popsicles. The bonus is that you can get rid of any plain, vanilla or flavored yogurt you have sitting in your fridge.
- 1 cup pureed blueberries
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of Greek yogurt to the first layer of the Popsicle molds.
- Add a layer of blueberries.
- Add a layer of strawberries.
- Top with an additional layer of 1-2 teaspoons of yogurt or layer the yogurt throughout the berry layers, it is up to you.