January 28, 2015
When was the last time you whiled away an entire day – uninterrupted by a crying baby, a whiny toddler or a sullen teen – with your girlfriends? Take time off to reconnect with your best gal pals on a week-long or long-weekend getaway. You’ll return recharged and refreshed and ready to tackle your busy, modern-day life once again, with a renewed joie de vivre and a reminder of the support that only friends can offer. Here are ten tips for planning an unforgettable girlfriends getaway.
- Planning is half the fun. Set up a Facebook group or an email chain and start dreaming/planning. Begin by asking yourselves “City or country escape?” “Skiing or sunbathing?” “What’s your dream destination and why?” and “What’s a new activity or sport you’d like to try?”
- Choose a destination that’s equidistant for all. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in a city that’s also a major travel hub, so try to agree on a destination that is one connected flight away for all.
- Keep everyone’s budgets in mind. Another question to pose to the group: What budget do you have in mind? Consider a staycation at a local hotel if you’re looking to save a dime yet still get away from it all.
- Bring extras from home. Hold a pre-trip meeting and draw names from a hat to determine who brings what in terms of extras from home. Think snacks, games, wine, chocolate…
- Create a master itinerary. Don’t leave the planning up to just one or two friends. Divide up the days so each girl gets to schedule one day’s meals and excursions, including reservations. That way no one is stuck with planning it all. Create a master itinerary and email to everyone before the trip.
- Discuss as a group the activity level you’re looking for on your getaway. Some groups might be interested in lazing an entire trip away with drinks by the pool. Consider testing your limits as a group by trying something no of you has tried before, such as surf lessons, regional cooking lessons, or tandem bike riding.
- Plan a book exchange. Ask everyone to bring a book for a book exchange. Select a book that inspired or touched you and wrap it up with a bow.
- Don’t skip spa time. Pamper yourselves with at least one spa treatment. Pedicures are especially fun and indulgent.
- Say Cheese! Arrange for a group portrait. Your hotel concierge can book a professional photographer.
- Celebrate your dreams and aspirations! Dedicate at least one evening to discussing your hopes, dreams and goals as individuals. Anyone who complains or mentions their husband/partner/kids during this activity must put a dollar in a bowl.