Checklist for Building a Twitter Following
August 24, 2011
Whether you are a blogger, work at home mom, or just a social media enthusiast, Twitter offers a great way for you to reach and engage potential customers or friends. Using this medium, you can easily follow and be followed by thousands of users over time. By building a Twitter following, you are able to create a certain level of intimacy by connecting with people regularly. This communication platform also provides an avenue for you to build an awareness of your product, service, or information. If you are interested in building a Twitter following, then here is your checklist of suggested activity:
- Post regularly, at least several times a day. Be sure you are sharing something meaningful, interesting, valuable or humorous (not just a daily list of what you ate for lunch). Consider using a (free) application (Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, or Social Oomph, to name a few) to schedule your tweets and help you manage your social media activity.
- Resist the urge to spam. Instead of just tweeting about yourself and your business day after day, share observations, links to great resources, articles, and ideas that will help your followers.
- Be engaged. Take time each week to read what those you follow have to say. Compliment those who tweet something you really like. Review all @mentions (soon to be @Username and the Activity tab) and thank those who have shared your content.
- Don’t hog the spotlight. Ask questions and listen to responses. Look for items to Retweet (i.e., quotes, action ideas, articles, etc.). Most people enjoy recognition, so take time to acknowledge and recognize some of your followers daily.
- Be a good host. Check out your new followers, say hello, and follow back targeted people. Some great tools to aid in managing your followers are Manageflitter.com and Untweeps.com.
- Be persistent. Building a Twitter following takes time, so you must be committed for the long haul. Consistency and commitment will go a long way in helping you reach your goals.
- Use the tools. To provide your followers with some variety, utilize resources to help you find good content to share, such as Stufftotweet.com, Popurls.com, or Alltop.com.
Twitter offers a great opportunity to share your personality, your brand, and your information with the world. By using this checklist for building a Twitter following, you can connect and engage with potential customers or friends, learn valuable information and tips from others, position yourself as an authority in your niche, and build a great network of contacts.