Stars React to Valerie Harper’s Death, JWoww Finalizes Divorce, Busy Phillips Responds to Body Shamers and More!
September 3, 2019
Labor Day has come and gone, which means that summer is almost over. How does this happen so fast when winter seems to last forever? It’s been a quieter week for celebrity news, but everyone’s probably out enjoying these last long days of sunlight before pumpkin spice season officially begins.
Be honest, though. You’ve already had a pumpkin spice latte, haven’t you? You might even have it in your hand right now. That’s okay. This is a safe space. Keep sippin’ while you catch up on the latest.
Stars React to Valerie Harper’s Death
After a long, beautiful career, Valerie Harper lost her battle with brain cancer last week. Best known as Rhoda Morgenstein on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, she made such an impact on fans and the industry over the years, it’s not surprising that celebrities took an opportunity to remember her. Here are just a few of the sweet messages:
- “Sad to hear about the passing of #ValerieHarper. She was incredibly courageous facing cancer with her humor and grace. Thinking of her devoted family, friends, and many fans. Like Mary Tyler Moore she could turn the world on with her smile” – Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts.
- “Thank you brilliant Valerie- you gave us so much!! RIP Valerie Harper” – Mia Farrow.
- “Condolences to the family of Valerie Harper. Going to miss you Rhoda Morgenstern!” – William Shatner.
- “Valerie Harper passed away. She was a wonderful actress and brought me so much joy. She will be missed rip” – Cyndi Lauper.
- “A beautiful woman, a wonderful actress, a great friend and with balls bigger than mine. Her brilliance burst through and shined its light upon all of us. Goodnight beautiful. I’ll see you soon” – Ed Asner, her long-time co-star on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Younger audiences might also remember her from Valerie (later called Valerie’s Family and The Hogan Family), Sex and the City, That 70s Show, Desperate Housewives, and many others. She devoted her life to entertaining others, and Valerie, we thank you!
JWoww Finalizes Divorce
It’s been a turbulent time for Jenni “JWoww” Farley, but hopefully she can begin to put it behind her. After separating nearly a year ago, she and Roger Mathews are now officially divorced. In a statement, a rep explained, ‘Jenni and Roger have reached an amicable conclusion and finalized their divorce. They remain devoted to co-parenting their children in a happy and healthy environment and they both wish each other the best.’
Fans of The Jersey Shore will remember Jenni and Roger’s rocky beginnings before they tied the knot in 2015. The couple share two children, 5-year-old daughter Meilani and 3-year-old son Greyson. In recent months, Jenni has been dating professional wrestler, Zack Clayton Carpinello. We wish everyone all the best!
Busy Phillips Responds to Body Shamers
In celebration of Labor Day weekend, Busy Phillips shared a photo of herself along with the caption, “Get. That. Holiday. Weekend.” Unfortunately, some Instagrammers chose to leave negative responses—but were quickly called out by Phillips herself.
One wrote, “Omfg I’m sooooo tired of that upside-down smile of yours.” In response, Phillips said, “Then I have some FANTASTIC NEWS FOR YOU! You can UNFOLLOW ME AND NEVER LOOK AT IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!”
When a male commented, “Lost so much weight look great,” Phillips responded with, “Bro. BRO. No. Absolutely not, sir. KEEP MOVING. BYEEEEEEEEEE.”
This isn’t the first time she’s had to deal with this sort of thing, unfortunately. Back in 2018, she shared a lengthy post detailing how difficult it can be. She concluded with some very thoughtful advice: “I think it’s a good thing to err on the side of ‘Let’s not talk to people about their bodies unless they bring it up first and they want to talk about their bodies.’” Truth!
In case you missed it… here are a few more noteworthy stories:
- Jennifer Lopez gives Constance Wu pole dancing lessons
- Beyoncé looks awestruck during Lizzo performance
- Farrah Abraham goes commando, suffers wardrobe malfunction
- Sofia Vergara leaves beach vacation ahead of Hurricane Dorian
- Teresa Guidice drops daughter off at Rutgers dorm