Queen Elizabeth Steps Back, Grimes Gives Birth, Katy Perry’s Boisterous Bump, and More!
May 12, 2020
Struggling to remember what day of the week it is? Is it really almost summer? Can you remember what it’s like to walk in the sunshine without a care in the world? If you’re having a hard time imagining those things right now, you’re not alone! Even the most famous mothers in the world have been inside during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some of the latest headlines.
Queen Elizabeth Steps Back
After canceling her most recent engagements, it’s been announced that Queen Elizabeth will be clearing her calendar amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. In fact, she’s not expected to appear for any official public events until the fall—at the earliest.
The Queen, 94, and her husband Prince Philip, 98, have been sheltering in place at Windsor Castle since March 19, 2020. She was last seen just 10 days earlier when she joined other members of the royal family at the Commonwealth Service on March 9. That day was the last public engagement for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as working members of the royal family.
While she’s expected to continue carrying out her official duties by phone, she won’t be attending any meetings. As a Buckingham Palace spokesman explains, “The Queen continues to be busy and will follow appropriate advice on engagements.”
Grimes Gives Birth
It’s a boy for Grimes and boyfriend, Elon Musk! The singer gave birth on May 4 to a son who, apparently, has been named X Æ A-12 Musk. While the couple has given conflicting statements about how to pronounce all of that, they both seem to agree that their child’s first name is simply “X.”
As the Tesla CEO, Musk has a lot of pull, but it’s unclear whether that name will be allowed. Family law attorney, David Glass, recently told People that the name technically isn’t illegal, but added that “In California, you can only use the ’26 characters’ of the English language in your baby name. Thus, you can’t have numbers, Roman numerals, accents, umlauts or other symbols or emojis. Although an apostrophe, for a name like ‘O’Connor,’ is acceptable.”
So, what will happen if they try to file X’s birth certificate as is? If they filled it out “with the odd numbers, dashes and symbols, it will be submitted and then rejected and they’ll be asked to submit it again,” Glass explains. “They have an opportunity to appeal the rejection of the birth certificate application but it’s unlikely that it will be granted because, again, California … has been struggling with using symbols.”
Both Grimes and Musk have made names for themselves by being unique public figures, so it’s not surprising that they’d want to choose a highly unusual name. Only time will tell if the moniker sticks. Either way, congratulations to the growing family!
Katy Perry’s Boisterous Bump
After revealing her first pregnancy, Katy Perry has spent most of her time self-isolating (with fiancé, Orlando Bloom). She has, however, been continuing her work as a judge on American Idol from home, often wearing funny costumes. So far, she’s dressed up as a bottle of hand sanitizer, a roll of toilet paper, and even Dumbo’s mom.
On the Mother’s Day-themed episode, she shared a sweet pregnancy update with viewers at home. “I don’t know what it is to be a mother, although I’ve always felt very motherly to my friends and my fans, but I know I’m about to step into the next level,” Perry, 35, said. “I even have a bump. She’s kicking too. She kicks when the performances are good. So just let them be good but not too good because it’s painful!”
It sounds as though she’s making the most of this crazy time by looking forward to motherhood and doing what she can to stay positive. We send all the best to Katy, and all expectant moms, who are navigating pregnancy during a pandemic.
In case you missed it… here are a few more noteworthy stories:
- Kara Keough Shares Heartbreaking Details of Son’s Birth and Death
- Kevin Hart and Wife Eniko Reveal Their Second Baby’s Gender
- Vanessa Bryant’s Special Message to Her Daughters on First Mother’s Day Since Losing Kobe and Gianna
- Tyler Cameron on How Ex-Girlfriend Gigi Hadid Will Be as a Mother
- Lori Loughlin’s Daughters Bella and Olivia Jade Say They’re ‘Proud‘ of Her
- Kourtney Kardashian Posts Cryptic Message About ‘Things I’m Not OK With’
- Kristin Cavallari Shares Heartfelt Mother’s Day Message Amid Jay Cutler Split
- Ruthie Ann Miles Gives Birth to Baby Girl 2 Years After Losing 4-Year-Old Daughter and Unborn Baby
- Kelly Ripa Gives Another Glimpse of Her Gray Hair as She Enters Week Eight of ‘Root Watch’
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Jared Pobre Welcome Daughter
- See Whitney Houston with a Young Anne Hathaway on the Set of The Princess Diaries
- Kathy Griffin Remembers Late Mom Maggie on Mother’s Day
- Kellan Lutz Wishes ‘Incredible’ Wife Brittany a ‘Happy Mother’s Day‘ After Pregnancy Loss
- Chrissy Teigen “Bummed” by Comments Made By Former Friend