February 27, 2012
Pregnant, again. It really amazes me what women go through to have children. It is very easy to forget about all the negative things in pregnancy
once you hold your baby for the first time. This was the case for me, at least.This being my second pregnancy, I am yet again reminded how long 9 months really lasts. I have dealt with morning sickness, fatigue, round ligament pain, ovarian cysts, and more recently heartburn, constipation, and sleepless nights. I’ve also noticed that my baby bump is much bigger than it was with the first. The books I own, and the websites I read weekly, indicate the importance of a healthy
weight gain. I was surprised that I only need an extra 300-350 calories per day during the second and third trimester. After all, you really are not eating
for two adults during pregnancy.
After further research I found great snack ideas to eat that are only around 300 calories. Most of these are nutritious, but also allow for a few fun snacks to appease your pregnancy cravings. Hopefully you will find new additions to your snack list too:
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt with 1/2 cup low-fat granola and 1 piece (1/2 cup) of fruit
- A peanut butter and jelly sandwich (1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 teaspoons of jelly)
- 1 cup of beans and 1/2 cup of rice
- 1 large cookie or 1 cup of ice cream
- 1 oz. (about 1/4 cup or 28 nuts) whole natural plain almonds, 1 medium apple, 1 small square of dark chocolate
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 2 ¾ cups of grapes
- 2 ½ slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of broccoli, ¼ cup of ranch dressing
- 1 whole grain pita bread, 4 tbsp hummus
- A small bag of banana chips
- A portion of potato wedges with 2 tbsp sour cream dip
- A serving of tortilla chips with 1 heaped tbsp guacamole
When eating these snacks, I do try and buy organic options whenever possible. Eating organic is important to my family. I have been doing very well, at keeping my weight under control with this pregnancy. Healthy and careful eating, lots of water, and exercise are not only important for you, but the baby inside you as well.
What snack ideas do you have to share?