Facebook Introduces Timeline for Fan Pages
March 5, 2012
In case you missed it, Facebook introduced Timeline for Fan Pages on February 29th. This announcement included some major changes to the look and feel of Fan Pages. The format will be similar to Timeline for personal pages, including a cover photo at the top of the Page. Also similarly, the main section of the page will be divided into two columns, representing the passage of time.
Here are just a few of the Pros and Cons you can expect when Timeline for Fan Pages rolls out:
- Pages will now feature a large, custom photo (though you can’t include any advertising) AND a profile picture.
- You will be able to have private messages between your Fan Page and users.
- You can create your own thumbnail image for tabs – even for apps you didn’t create.
- You will have the ability to make a status update “Sticky” – Pages will have the option to “pin” a specific post to keep it at the top of your updates for up to 7 days.
- Custom tabs will be larger – up to 780 px wide.
- Reduced tab visibility – Fan Pages will no longer have the listing of tabs on the left-hand side of the page. The applications will still exist, but now only a limited few will be displayed beneath the cover photo.
- Default landing tabs will be eliminated – all visitors to your Page, fans and non fans alike, will land on your Timeline/wall.
- The 2-column format will fragment the free-flow of conversations as we have today.
- Photo-strip currently at the top of Pages will be removed – no more photo previews for your fans.
Facebook states that all Fan Pages will get a new design on March 30, 2012 , so that gives Page admins about 25 days to update their pages to accommodate the new Timeline format.
Do you have a Facebook Page? If so, what are your feelings about the upcoming changes?