We try to find positive, lighthearted stories about our favorite famous mothers, but that’s been very difficult in 2020. This week, there are several heartbreaking stories making headlines, and it’s hard to wrap our heads around it all. Let’s take a few moments to pay our respects and review what’s been happening.
Kelly Preston Dies at 57
There was no preparation for the shocking news that Kelly Preston had died. Born Kelly Kamalelehua Smith on October 13, 1962, in Honolulu, Hawaii, she studied acting at the University of Southern California before starring in films such as SpaceCamp (1986), Twins (1988), Jerry Maguire (1996) and For Love of the Game (1999).
On New Year’s Eve 1991, Preston got engaged to John Travolta at the Palace Hotel restaurant in Gstaad, Switzerland. She was two months pregnant with their son, Jett, when they married on September 5, 1991. In 2019, they celebrated their 28th anniversary.
On Sunday, the family shared this devastating statement: “On the morning of July 12, 2020, Kelly Preston, adored wife and mother, passed away following a two-year battle with breast cancer. Choosing to keep her fight private, she had been undergoing medical treatment for some time, supported by her closest family and friends. She was a bright, beautiful and loving soul who cared deeply about others and who brought life to everything she touched. Her family asks for your understanding of their need for privacy at this time.”
Naya Rivera Body Found
We never know how our lives can change from one moment to the next, but Naya Rivera’s story is a reminder to cherish the time we have. The Glee actress and her four-year-old son, Josey, rented a pontoon boat at Lake Piru where they had been swimming on July 8. When they failed to return the rental on time, workers discovered Josey asleep and alone on the boat.
Close friend and Glee co-star, Heather Morris, attempted to organize her own search team after the original failed attempts to find a body, and Naya’s ex-husband, Ryan Dorsey, and father were seen diving into the water themselves.
A body discovered Monday morning at Lake Piru was then identified as Naya, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said during a news conference.
We send positive thoughts to all of Naya Rivera’s loved ones, especially her son.
In case you missed it… here are a few more noteworthy stories:
- Lisa Marie Presley ‘Heartbroken‘ After Death of 27-Year-Old Son Benjamin Keough
- Nelson Mandela’s ‘Fearless’ Daughter Zindzi Mandela Dies at 59: ‘Leader in Her Own Right’
- Amanda Kloots Held a Memorial for Late Husband Nick Cordero: ‘His Spirit Was Definitely There’
- Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli Sell Bel-Air Mansion amid College Admissions Scandal
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Step Out in Matching Masks in Beverly Hills
- Pregnant YouTube Star Nicole Thea Dies at 24: ‘Our Hearts Are Truly Broken’
- Teen Mom 2‘s Kailyn Lowry Says Her Pregnancy Is ‘High-Risk‘ Because of Her Weight
- Jennifer Garner Smiles as She Proudly Shows Off Her Gigantic Sunflowers: ‘Come on, July’