Summertime Strawberry Cake and Cupcakes
June 10, 2015
One of my favorites activities in summer is picking fresh strawberries! Instead of the usual strawberry shortcake I have discovered a lot of delicious desserts to make with all of our fresh berries. This strawberry cake recipe topped with a strawberry cream cheese frosting is seriously delicious and a great way to get your kids to eat more fruit!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups strawberries, crushed
- In small bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder, set aside
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, eggs and oil.
- Add in flour mixture, and blend well.
- Mix in crushed strawberries.
- Pour into two greased 8-9 inch round pans, or one 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, crushed (set aside a few fresh berries to put on top if you would like)
- In large mixing bowl whip cream cheese.
- Add softened butter and mix well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until well blended.
- Add vanilla and crushed strawberries.
- Mix until frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Frost cake, can be served immediately.
This recipe also makes delicious cupcakes. Just use a cupcake tray with paper liners. Fill each cup 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Use you imagination and try adding fresh fruit like blueberries or peaches. Decorate or top your cake or cupcakes with a slice of the fruit of your choice for a dessert that sure to impress your friends and family!