It seems like every week I buy a bunch of bananas at the grocery store with great intentions on devouring them before they go bad. And every week I find half of the bananas over ripe, brown and mushy several days later, still sitting on the counter! Instead of throwing them away, I incorporate them into a delicious banana cream pie recipe. It’s also a great way to sneak some extra fruit into my kids’ day!
- 1 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Blend graham crackers and sugar together.
- Add melted butter, mix well.
- Press into 9″ pie pan.
Banana Cream Filling
- 3 medium bananas
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Separate egg yolks, set aside.
- In medium sauce pan combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk.
- On medium heat stir constantly until thick and bubbling, continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Slightly beat egg yolks, gradually stir about 1 cup of hot filling into yolks, then pour egg mixture into remaining hot filling in pan.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla.
- Layer bottom of pie shell with thinly sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/3 of mixture over top of bananas.
- Repeat banana/mix for two more layers.
- Optional: add meringue topping below.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool on wire rack 1 hour then refrigerate until chilled about 3 hours.
- Top with your favorite whipped cream or cool whip topping.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute or until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time beating on high speed for about 4 more minutes or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spread over hot pie filling.
- Bake as directed above.
This is a pretty basic old fashioned cream pie recipe, so if you don’t like bananas just leave them out and try using an ingredient you prefer like strawberries or even chocolate!