Blogging has become widely popular as a way to share information, network with others, create a brand, or build a list of followers. Mom bloggers, the world over, are generally on the look-out for ways to improve and grow their blog. And since you are reading this article, I imagine you are too. Whether it’s your hobby or your business, you can boost your blogging skills and create a successful, profitable blog in seven simple steps:
- Find Your Voice. In a world with so many voices from businesses vying for attention, it’s easy for our own voice to get lost in the crowd. With the rise of businesses using online marketing as their primary marketing method, it’s more important than ever to stand out from the competition. The best way to do this is to let you shine through. Only you can be you, and your voice is the unique voice your target market is seeking.
So be authentic, be natural, be you. If you’re naturally funny, then let it show in your writing. If you’re business-minded, express that style with pride. If you tend to be a bit brash, then show it (with tact!). Just remember, “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ~Dr. Seuss
- Know Your Readers. If you want to build a buzz around your blog, you need to zero in on the exact people who are going to have the most interest in what you’re writing. While there are many who blog just as a hobby, if you want people to read and enjoy what you write, then get to know your ideal reader. What type of person would best benefit from what you write or the products or services you offer? Where do they hang out? What are their challenges? What do they spend their time and money on? When you take the time to know your readers, then you’ll be seen as a person of authority who is best able to fill their needs and solve their problems.
- Choose the Right Words. Once you have identified your target market – their needs, wants, and struggles – then display your blog writing skills and speak to those needs. Unless your blog is purely for entertainment, seek to help your readers by offering solutions to their most common challenges. Choose words that will reach out and grab their attention and keep it. Also, be sure to include words (called keywords) in your post that your target market would insert in a search engine to find the information contained on your site.
- Learn the Value of Re-Purposing. You can save considerable time and effort through re-purposing your content. With a content marketing plan, you create one piece of content, such as a 500-word article, and then repurpose it in multiple ways. From that one article, you can create one blog post, six tweets for Twitter, five Facebook status updates, three forum or networking group updates, one online article submission, and one ezine article. Organize the parts of your content marketing plan to fit your publishing schedules and timelines.
- Make a Commitment. Commit to posting often, at least once a week. To drive even more traffic to your site, consider posting two to three times a week or even daily! The search engines love fresh content, so the more often you post, the more effective your blogging will be.
- Create a Call to Action. Increase the interaction of your readers by calling them to action at the end of each post. You’ve shown them your blogging skills, now get their reaction. Ask them a question or invite them to subscribe to your newsletter or updates by email. If you don’t ask your readers to act, they are less likely to do so.
- Proofreid, proofreed, proofread. Need I say more? Your posts are a reflection of you, so be sure to put your best foot forward.
By following these seven simple steps, you will be able to boost your blogging skills and grow your blog. What are other ways you have found to boost your blog writing skills?