Ancient Romans massaged pure, rich olive oil directly into their skin. The Mediterranean diet is based on this super fruit and so it is only natural and quite lovely to incorporate the beneficial olive into your beauty routine. Did you know that the antioxidants in olives help fight the signs of aging and combat wrinkles? It’s true and now that temperatures are getting cooler it is the perfect time to find out how you too can soak up the optimal results of an olive based beauty routine.
The Benefits of Olive Oil
There are many skincare companies’s out there that proclaim the advantages that olive infused products but sometimes it is best to go to the source and use olive oil in its purest sense. Straight from the bottle. Olive oil contains three major antioxidants that are truly beneficial to your skin: vitamin E, polyphenols, and phytosterols which all help fight free radicals and the signs of aging.
10 Uses for Olive Oil on Your Skin and Hair
- A small drop of olive oil on your hands will soften them in the colder fall and winter months.
- Use olive oil to soften cuticles and keep hang nails away.
- Rub the olive oil into your nail beds for strong nails.
- Mix aloe Vera with a few drops of olive oil to help saturate and moisturize dry skin. The aloe helps the oil seep deeper into your dermis.
- Take a few drops of olive oil mixed with rosemary essential oil and rub it into your scalp to get rid of dandruff.
- Dab a small amount of oil onto a cotton ball or pad and use it to remove eye make-up before bed. It will also help with wrinkles around the eyes.
- If you have eczema or psoriasis, try adding a quarter cup of olive oil to a warm bath to help relieve your itchy, scaly skin.
- Apply a thin coat of olive oil to your legs and use it as a shaving aid that also moisturizes as you shave.
- Create a hydrating mask with olive oil, the yolk of one egg and a teaspoon of honey. This extra moisturizing mask is perfect for the winter months.
- Press a teaspoon of the oil into your skin at night before bed for an affordable night cream.
If you find yourself out shopping and looking for an olive-based product for your hair or skin you can trust items from companies like Kiehl’s Olive Fruit Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner, Olivella Body Lotion, and SheaMoisture Olive and Green Tea Bath, Body and Bubble Wash to deliver a great experience.