Does your healthy living routine fly out the window every time you travel – for business or for pleasure? Do you usually return from your trips with some extra baggage – in the form of pounds that seem harder and harder to shake off? Here are seven ways to keep your fitness and health in check while traveling; stick with them and you might even return home a few pounds lighter.
- Start your day with 30 minutes of yoga. Yoga is one of the easiest exercises to do on the go, and it’s a good option if you have a travel-related ache (i.e. airplane neck) or if you’re just looking to stretch and tone. Your best bet is to find a local yoga studio (Yoga Finder will help you find one STAT), but you can also work out from the comfort of your hotel room with a little help from your iPhone or iPad. iYoga+ is one of many apps that features easy yoga workouts, including a 30-minute morning workout.
- Take 10,000 steps per day. Grab a pedometer and track your steps each day. You should aim for at least 10,000 (about 5 miles). The best way to explore a new destination is by foot – ask your hotel concierge to connect you with a walking tour or two.
- Keep alcohol consumption in check. Stop drinking away your calories. If you want to enjoy a few drinks during the day or evening, try alternating cocktails with sparkling water.
- Remind yourself that vacation isn’t an excuse to stuff yourself silly. It’s exciting to dine out at new restaurants but keep your portions reasonable. Try to check out the menu before you arrive at the restaurant and come up with a game plan: focus on healthy choices, opt for salads or grilled veggies as sides. Ask for two spoons and share a local dessert.
- Avoid snacking. Since you’re more likely to dine out while on vacation, skip snacking altogether or enjoy a local fruit.
- Start your day with a healthy, leisurely breakfast. Nothing gets your metabolism going like a healthy breakfast.
- Make a point of trying out a new active experience on every trip. Exercise is 100 times more fun when you’re learning something new. See your destination with new eyes and try out a new active experience: from Urban Kayaking to a Bike Tour, there is bound to be an active experience or two to pique your interest and get you moving.
How do you stay fit while traveling? Share with us on twitter @SocialMoms.