Eggplant is one of those vegetables that no one in my family likes but me. That doesn’t mean that I have to do without enjoying one of my favorite vegetables though. Every now and then, I treat myself to a delicious lunch using a recipe that includes eggplant. This time, I have combined eggplant with both pasta and feta cheese – two other favorites of mine. If you are watching your carbs for health reasons, you can use a bit less pasta and a bit more vegetables in your serving. I also chose to use low-fat crumbled feta cheese to help keep the calorie count down.
Eggplant With Pasta and Feta Cheese Recipe
- 1/2 pound farfalle pasta (bowties)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel the eggplant and cut it into half-inch cubes. Cut each mushroom into four pieces.
- Toss with one tablespoon of olive oil and spread on a cookie sheet. Salt lightly.
- Roast in 400F oven for about 25 minutes until soft.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box. Drain.
- Heat a large pan and add the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute the onions and garlic.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and cherry tomatoes. Add the pasta and stir.
- If it looks too dry, you can add a bit of water or extra olive oil.
- Add in half of the feta cheese and serve.
- Sprinkle with extra feta if desired and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is very versatile. You can add more or less vegetables depending on what you have. You can use diced traditional tomatoes if you do not have the cherry tomatoes. What is your favorite recipe using eggplant?