As a busy mom I’m always looking for great ways to sneak fruits or veggies into my kids desserts. This carrot cake recipe is not only easy to make, your kids will never know there’s something healthy inside. As a restaurant owner this recipe is also one of our top selling desserts, so be prepared for compliments anywhere you share this cake!
Simple Carrot Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups shredded carrots (tip: for extra moist cake use baby carrots and pulse in blender)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Add carrots, oil and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer till combined.
- Pour into a greased 13×9 pan (or two 9×2 inch circular pans) and bake for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack and allow to cool thoroughly before frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
This frosting recipe takes this healthy cake to a super tasty treat for everyone. We use it for many different cakes, and you can even use it as a delicious dip for your fresh fruit!
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
- Add butter and mix until fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until mixed well.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix well until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Frost cake and cover and store in refrigerator.
As seasons change, you can add fresh fruits in place of the carrots. Try substituting strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, or any fresh fruit that your family loves. I like to add just a touch of the fruit or fruit juice into the frosting as well to give it extra flavor. Garnish the cake with the fruit of your choice and you will have a beautiful cake that everyone will think you slaved over all day!
This recipe also makes fantastic cupcakes. Paper line your cupcake pans and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. They make a great sweet and healthy snack for a school birthday party treat and you’ll be sure to impress the teachers too!