The first of the year always gets people making New Year resolutions! The most common one for most of us is eating healthier. If you are like me and have a hard time giving up the sweets, especially chocolate, check out this recipe for a low-calorie, yet chocolate indulging treat.
Low Calorie Dark Fudgy Brownie
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (American style or Dutch process)
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (50-72% cocoa), coarsely chopped, plus 2 1/2 ounces chopped into mini chip size pieces, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup, blended with 3 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts, (see tip), optional
- Sift flour, confectioners sugar and cocoa together into a small bowl.
- Combine the 3 ounces coarsely chopped chocolate and oil in a saucepan, stir over lowest heat until just melted and smooth, being very careful the chocolate does not overheat.
- Remove from heat and stir in granulated sugar, corn syrup mixture, vanilla, and salt. Blend until all ingredients dissolve.
- Stir in egg vigorously until smoothly incorporated.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts (if using) and the remaining 2 1/2 ounces chopped chocolate just until well blended.
- Pour batter into a 8 inch pan with foil, letting it overhang on two opposing sides, coated with cooking spray.
- Position on center rack of preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake brownies 20-25 minutes or until center of brownies are almost firm and a toothpick inserted comes out with some moist batter clinging to it.
Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 86
- Fat 3g (1g sat, 1 g mono)
- Cholesterol 11mg
- Carbohydrates 15g
- Protein 2g
- Fiber 0g
- Sodium 19mg
- Potassium 25mg