When my family goes out for dinner we always love to order dessert. One of my personal favorites is a chocolate lava cake. In fact I enjoy it so much, I decided to find out how to make these individual chocolate wonders. This recipe is absolutely delicious, and would make the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert for your loved one!
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- Grease six 8-10 ounce ramekins, souffle dishes or custard cups.
- Place ramekins in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a heavy small saucepan, combine chocolate and the 3/4 cup butter. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- Fold one-third of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Fold remaining chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture.
- Spoon about 2/3 cup batter into each prepared ramekin, dividing evenly.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 12 minutes. The edges should be firm but the center will be runny.
- Cool ramekins on a wire rack for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a knife, loosen cake from sides of ramekins, place onto dessert plate.
- Sift with powdered sugar.
You may also garnish with fresh mint leaves and raspberries (or your favorite fresh fruit) if desired. Serve immediately
Yield: Makes 6 servings