Have you ever wondered how to make bread from scratch with yeast? I have always enjoyed baking and cooking as many things as possible from scratch. I think of it as a challenge and try to recreate as many traditionally processed foods as possible. For the most part, the recipes are just as good if not better than the alternatives you can buy in the store.
One of the benefits of learning how to make your own bread (or things like mustard, cocktail sauce, or cranberry sauce) is that you have total control over the ingredients you cook with. If you want to avoid GMO ingredients or high fructose corn syrup, you can simply not use those ingredients when you cook.
How to Make Bread From Scratch With Yeast
One of the first things that I learned to make on my own was this homemade bread recipe.
- 5 cups of white flour
- 2 packages of yeast
- 2 tsp of white or brown sugar
- 2 tsp of table salt
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Add four cups of the white flour along with the yeast, sugar, and salt to a bowl.
- Pour the water and the vegetable oil into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly add in the remaining cup of flour until the dough is not sticky.
- Knead until the dough is elastic and smooth and no longer sticky. Add more flour if necessary.
- Place the dough into a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Allow it to rise until it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough down and divide it into two separate loaves.
- Shape them carefully and place them in a well-oiled loaf pan to rise until the dough is even with the edge of the pan.
- Place in a 400F preheated oven and cook for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
We love this homemade bread for breakfast with jam and butter. You can certainly use it for sandwiches as well but you’ll need a very sharp knife to cut it in thin slices. If you don’t have a loaf pan, you can simply shape the dough into an oval shape and bake it on a cookie sheet. I prefer it that way because the sides get crustier than when I bake it in a loaf pan.
What’s your favorite homemade bread recipe?