Are you looking for the perfect dessert to bring to this year’s 4th of July festivities? Whether you are heading to a bbq, picnic, or any gathering, this recipe for a berry trifle is sure to please everyone. And it’s perfect for July 4th with its red, white and blue!
A trifle is an easy, make-ahead, dessert typically made with fruit, a thin layer of sponge fingers or sponge cake soaked in sherry or another fortified wine, and custard. It can be topped with whipped cream.
Our recipe foregoes the sherry for a lighter spin on the dessert.
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream (at room temperature)
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pre made angel food cake, cut into 1-inch wide slices
- Heat 1/4 cup sugar, the lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until
the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract.
- Brush both sides of each slice of cake with the syrup, cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.
- Beat the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and light.
- Add the heavy cream, a little at a time, and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and the consistency of whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a 13-cup trifle dish, sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
- Dollop half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread.
- Top with layer of strawberries.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then sprinkle with more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture.
- Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a decorative pattern.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Need to make individual desserts? Take this recipe and fill paper baking cups with a small amount of each ingredient. Refrigerate and serve!