Eating healthy is a priority for me this year. I’m trying to be more aware of the products I buy and what I prepare for meals for my family. It takes time to read ingredient labels and search out healthier alternatives. Many times, the healthy alternative is much more expensive than the cheaper option.
Healthy Low Cost Meal – Ham Fried Rice
Finding a healthy low cost meal that everyone loves is definitely possible with a little bit of planning. Using leftovers from one meal in another meal is one of the strategies that I use regularly. Whenever we have something large like a roast chicken, ham or pork roast, I make sure to freeze some of the leftovers to incorporate elsewhere.
This Ham Fried Rice recipe is perfect for using up leftovers. I used both ham and rice that I had prepared earlier in the week. If you have leftover vegetables, you can easily add those to your recipe as well.
- 1 to 2 cups of diced ham
- 3 cups of cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tbsp healthy oil (I used olive oil.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1 cup of frozen peas or leftover diced vegetables
- Add the oil to a frying pan or wok and heat the onion, ham and peas until cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and add the egg lightly beaten.
- Scramble the egg and add back the onion, ham and peas. Stir till mixed.
- Add the cooked rice and stir.
- Add soy sauce and mix well until heated through.
- Top with scallions and serve.
I’ve made this Ham Fried Recipe recipe many times in many different ways. It’s just as good with other types of leftover meat including chicken, turkey, beef and even shrimp. Instead of peas, you can add carrots, broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower. Use your imagination and experiment with what you have on hand.
What is your favorite healthy low cost meal?