Now that the holidays are gone, it’s time to get back into the habit of eating healthier. I certainly believe it’s OK to enjoy Christmas cookies and candy during the holiday season as long as it doesn’t stretch into the New Year. When that happens, my jeans start getting a little bit tighter than I like. There’s no reason to give up sweets though, just choose a healthy dessert like this Grain Free Pumpkin Custard!
Healthy Desserts: Grain Free Pumpkin Custard
I try very hard to eliminate grains from my diet. My daughter is gluten-free and I follow the Paleo diet. Add that to the fact that my husband is diabetic and you can see why grains are something I don’t encourage the family to eat. This Grain Free Pumpkin Custard can be made with traditional dairy milk or if you’re Paleo, you can make it with coconut milk instead. It is lightly sweet without being an over the top splurge.
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree (homemade is best)
- 1/4 cup full fat milk or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup real Vermont maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract (not flavoring)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Whisk the ingredients together until they are smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour the filling into 4 individual ramekins until they are about 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the ramekins on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet in case of overflow.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool and refrigerate before serving or enjoy warm.
- If desired, you can top with real whipped cream.
Because this dessert is grain-free, it is suitable for those on both the Paleo and gluten-free diets. It is also allergy-friendly since you can use coconut milk (full fat version) instead of the traditional dairy milk. While I don’t eat dessert with every meal, I do like to splurge occasionally and treat myself to something sweet. This