Are you ready to go beyond the old traditional chocolate cake for your holiday guests this year? If the answer is yes then check out this awesome German chocolate cake recipe with coconut-pecan frosting from kraftrecipes.com that is a one of the most requested cakes my customers ask for. It may take a little more time and effort but the results are amazing!
- 1 package (4 ounces) Germans sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Microwave chocolate and water for 1 1/2 minutes stir until completely melted (set aside).
- Beat egg whites until peaks form (set aside).
- Beat sugar and butter in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, blend well.
- Pour in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add in flour, salt, baking soda alternately with butter milk, blend until thoroughly mixed. Tip: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into two 9 inch round pans (traditional cake is three 9 inch pans if you choose).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cool completely before frosting.
- 4 eggs yolks
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 package (7 ounces) Shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Whisk egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large sauce pan until well blended.
- Add sugar and butter.
- Cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add coconut and pecans, stir until thoroughly blended.
- Cool before spreading.
A traditional german chocolate cake is baked in three 9 inch round pans, and only frosted on top and between layers. I am showing a picture of this same recipe in a two layer cake, and I doubled the frosting recipe so that I could frost the entire cake, because we all know this frosting is the very best part! I have tried a lot of different recipes and this is a sure favorite with my customers!
This is recipe can also be used to make fantastic cupcakes!