While I was searching for red velvet cake recipes a couple of weeks ago, the same website, BuzzFeed, had over the top desserts for Valentine’s Day. Most of them were ooey gooey chocolate recipes like brownies, caramel brownie sundaes and chocolate cheesecake. I opted to go for one with less calories: churro bites. This is so easy to make, you can’t screw it up – and it doesn’t take much time at all to bake.
Angel Food Cake Churro Bites with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 7 inch store-bought angel food cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- Vegetable or coconut oil
Cream Cheese Frosting or Dip
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 – 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Cut angel food cake into cubes, approximately 1½” x 1½.”
- In a large, nonstick skillet, add enough oil to cover 1/4 inch up the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add half of the cubes and pan fry until one side is golden brown, flip and pan fry the other side until golden brown. This takes approximately 1-2 minutes per side – watch closely so they don’t burn.
- When browned, immediately add cubes to the cinnamon/sugar bowl and toss using a spatula (because they are hot!). Press sugar/cinnamon into the cubes until well coated. Repeat for remaining angel food cake bites.
- For the cream cheese frosting, beat the cream cheese until creamy. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk. Slowly add additional milk for thinner consistency if desired. Drizzle frosting over bites or use as a dip.
These are best served fresh and warm!
Next, I plan on trying out the no bake turtle upside down cake. This also looks so easy and so gooey. Just like one big turtle candy!